Giants Software’s Stegei announced yesterday that there is an update available for the Giants Editor. It has now reached version 8.2.0. You can get it from the Giants Developer Network website (click here to open it.) Just know that you have to register to download it (no worries, it’s free.)
Here is the changelog, according to a post that WestFranceTulipKaiser made on the official Farming Simulator Discord last night – changes and additions first:
- Scenegraph is processing arrow keys.
- When saving a mod on the same drive as the game path, it now uses the correct ‘$’ syntax.
- Incremented mod description version to 43.
- Added debug depth rendering mode.
The new version of the editor includes several fixes, as well. Here they are:
- First, fixed terrain paint preview when resizing brush with the mouse wheel.
- Second, fixed terrain preview painting when undoing/redoing terrain paint commands (with CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y.)
- Third, fixed wrong selection after copy-paste (after pasting in a transform group, the whole transform group was selected.)
- There’s also a fix for the visual raycast position report with start position != zero
Finally, the updated version has various script editor fixes (i.e., weird selection behavior when switching files while not saved, don’t store local information in tree data, find a file by name fixes, detect any changes, and not just <127 typing.)
An updated Giants Editor isn’t all. There’s also a new version of the Maya Exporter available. Version 8.0.1 adds support for Maya 2019 and Maya 2020.
Sadly, there’s no new version of the Blender Exporter. Many modders rely on Blender for making Farming Simulator mods and maps. They’ve asked for an updated exporter for a long time, but nothing has happened.
But all hope might not be lost for Blender users. When some Blender fans voiced their disappointment on the official FS Discord, Jeytav (Discord moderator) posted this:
I do believe Jeytav knows something… And while we are waiting for Jeytav (or perhaps Giants?) to tell us more, there is a working solution for your Blender exporting needs. fa285634 has created an exporter that works with Blender 2.8. You can read all about it here.
Giants Remote Debugger
Giants have also released the Remote Debugger. The debugger is a software that lets you create, edit, and debug script mods. It lets you work with both LUA docs and XML files. The editing part includes useful functions like auto-completion, a search function, and a game engine functions list.
Here are some of the features:
- You can use breakpoints to see how a script is executed.
- It’s possible to inspect both callstacks and variables.
- The debugger lets you see how and when variables change.
- You can do live coding (writing scripts) while the game is running.
Giants have released a web page with lots of documentation on how to use the debugger. Click here to open it.
Image credits: Giants Software, Erik S.